The blog is back! I’ll be posting regularly on a variety of topics relating to craft beer and the Business of Beer.
Let’s start with this:
We’ve all heard the quote “Time is Money”. We’ve heard that time is the most precious (and most wasted) commodity there is. Can we put a dollar value on our time? Even if we can’t monetize the value of time, we can all agree that like money, time is something that can and should be saved. Here are 5 easy ways to save time, save money, and make your bar or restaurant more efficient.
- Use your calendar. Write down what you need to do and when you need to do it. Try using a single calendar for everything, personal and professional, so you can effectively budget your personal time as well. Get an effective calendar app for your smartphone, so you can link your office, personal and mobile calendars, there’s nothing worse than trying to manage 3 different calendars. By using 1 calendar for everything, I don’t make the mistake of scheduling a teeth cleaning when I’m supposed to doing a beer pairing.
- Stop Procrastinating. Most often we tend to put off the little things, allowing them to become big things over time. Dealing with things when they’re small saves time now and stress later. It’s much easier to deal with an employee issue now before it becomes a major problem.
- Learn to love routine. Have specific places for things and always use them. If your keys are always in the same place, you won’t waste time looking for them. Not only that, block certain times of the day for certain tasks. As a bar manager, when I know that I’m seeing vendors from 8:30 – 10:00 AM and 2:00 – 4:00 PM (and sticking to it) that allows me focus on other tasks. Routine doesn’t always speed things up, but it does make it easier to find things and get things done.
- Reduce multitasking. According to some researchers, multitasking can reduce productivity by as much as 40%. How? By constantly switching between tasks you can easily lose focus and become more easily distracted. When you implement steps 1 and 3 you can maintain your focus on the task at hand. Set office hours for specific tasks.
- Eliminate repetitive tasks. Let’s use your Beer Program as an example. How often do you find yourself updating the same things on your website, print menus, Facebook, Twitter, etc.? TapHunter is a user friendly solution for your beer program. Our tools combine online menu and print menu maintenance, social media and advanced data tools all into one easy to use interface. See how it works here.